Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Waiting....

The polycarbinate pulleys I ordered are scheduled for delivery this afternoon.  The Epoxy is still curing from the rework last night on the nylon versions. I don't have much faith that the epoxy will adhere to the nylon but since they are all I have at the moment, they will have to do. 


I may get to do this all over again, but this time I will video it just in case anyone else wants or needs to try it later on their machines.


So while we're waiting, lets talk about MDF and the Phlatprinters.  


It seems that some people think that the only thing I am cutting is MDF and that is the reason for my posts on the skew problem so I want to set the record straight.


The multi-pass option and variable feed rates allow us to cut anything so long as we do so in shallow enough cuts as not to impede the flow of material against any of its axis.  It was promoted by the PhlatFolks early on and I find it useful for a number of things such as calibrating the machine.


MDF just happens to be easy to cut and has a nice flat surface.  A small section of MDF comes in handy to lay across the rollers and then use it to calibrate your Z axis with a dial indicator for example.


I also like to use it when calibrating the X axis because it provides a nice clean hard edge for which to get an accurate measurement with either a tape measure or digital caliper.


Most of the time I will be cutting foam, but during the setup phase, 1/4" MDF has proven to be a good way to test my setup.  It has almost zero drag in the sizes I am using since it rides on top of the rollers and does not even touch the top of the cabinet.  It gives me a good surface for which to get measurements taken. 


When I used 1/2" foam to do some of the same tests I have been doing, I found the foam introduced a drag into the equation that put additional load on the stepper and could introduce errors due to that drag.  


So MDF has become a standard item in my toolkit, but foam will be the main thing I will be cutting once the machine is up and running to my satisfaction.


I have some ideas for a new dust shield.  Maybe I will have something to demonstrate by  tomorrow.  












No comments:

Post a Comment