Friday, January 14, 2011

The Two Step

Texas Two Step has begun.  One step forward, two steps back.  But before we go there, 
Alan Chervitz stopped by the shop yesterday and visited with I and John Bernard.


We discussed everything from Sketchup to building the Phlatprinter \\\ and modding it.


Great guy!  We had a good time talking with him.


After he left, I decided to get down to cutting some Balsa which I had been waiting for the day when the machine would do it accurately.


Initially, things looked good, but when I assembled the parts, I found more problems.  Appears like the skew problem is back.


Too late last night to look into it, but I started in first light of day today to track it down.


By clamping the rollers at the pulley end toward themselves, I discovered where the skew was coming from.  


Pulled the drive rollers out and sure enough, one of the hex shafts that had been epoxied has given way.  


Looks like I am going to have to remove the pulley again, see if I can clean out the JB-Weld around the hex shaft, add shims and epoxy it all together again.


While trying to find the problem, I did observe that I could adjust the circles perfectly by clamping the rollers toward themselves, so there is yet one more area in which we need to keep an eye on. 


Maybe we can come up with a mod to be able to adjust the roller skew?





No comments:

Post a Comment